March Activities Update
Dear Parents and Children,
I hope you are keeping well and getting outdoors and into the garden as much as possible. I have more activities for next week. The activities and websites that I recommended last week can be repeated and children can pick and choose some of their favourites.
- I would encourage you to use the Nessie Programme as it is offering 1 Month Free. Reading , writing and spelling for all abilities is available and is a very good resource for the children.
- Watch a show daily on TG4.
- Continue with Handwriting and Mental Maths every day.
- Continue to read every day.
- The Junior Infants have their blue busy copy books. They can practice sounds, writing and drawing. The copy should be enjoyable and the children can write sentences and words.
- Children can also continue to practice writing their names at the back of the copybook.
- Senior Infants and First Class both have news copy books. Pick three words every day for your child to put into a sentence.
- Children can also write a diary entry. This will keep us very entertained when we are all back together listening to their entries.
- Children in First Class can also continue to practice their tables addition and subtraction.
RTE: From Monday onwards RTÉ’s Home School Hub will broadcast from 11am to noon on RTÉ2, RTÉ Learn and the RTÉ Player.The live teaching show in conjunction with the Department of Education will air from Monday to Friday. It will have one learning activity and one physical activity that will be suggested each day with the subject area changing each day.
9.00am- PE with Joe Wicks https://youtu.be/6v-a_dpwhro
10.00am - Maths with Carol Vorderman www.themathsfactor.com
11.00am - English with David Walliams https://www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/elevenses/
12.00pm - Lunch (cooking with Jamie Oliver) https://www.jamieoliver.com/feat…/category/get-kids-cooking/
1.00pm - Music with Myleene Klass https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQh2wgJ5tOrixYBn6jFXsXQ
2.00pm - History with Dan Snow (free for 30-days) https://tv.historyhit.com/signup/package
Science with Professor Brian Cox, Robin Ince & Guests https://cosmicshambles.com/stayathome/upcoming-schedule
Some more fun activities:
- Morning Oral Language: Chat - Identify feelings, days of the week, months, seasons, weather and numbers.
- Phonics Practice: Practice sounds and digraphs (2 sounds together) in the small folders that I sent home.
- Maths: Counting and forming numbers, infants have rhymes they can sing while forming numbers.
- Practice: Addition and subtraction with objects at home and then children can write the sum in their copybooks.
- Make: Patterns, jigsaws and shape sort.
- Design: A new book cover for your favourite book
- Play: Board games and card games
- Practice:Tying your laces
- Project work: Do a mini project on your favourite country or animal
- Writing: Write a new ending to your favourite story
- Challenge: Hide something and make a treasure map of it
- Challenge: Build a bridge only using newspaper
- Cook/ bake: Something you haven’t before
- Make: A lego maze - Make: A paper chain, decorate the paper first
- Sing: Put on your favourite song and sing and dance
These activities will hopefully keep the children busy. Go through the lists from this week and last week and pick the activities. The most important thing is that children and parents are well and safe. Please do not be under pressure to do all activities, children are learning all of the time and learn so much from parents. The weather is beautiful, enjoy it while we have it. Please do not hesitate to contact me via email. I will answer any questions you may have.
I have attached a photo of the First Class children’s, peas and carrots. They will be delighted to know that their vegetables have grown very big. I hope the cress is still growing that all of the junior room children took home.